From: Mike McGuire [mailto:mjm19@po.cwru.edu]
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 05:07 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: lilo does not work!

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 05:18:58PM -0300, Miguel Griffa wrote:
> Hi
> from the manual:
>   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage
boot
>      loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused
by a
>      geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the
map
>      installer.
>
> could it be possible that you miss a step in compile/install kern?
>
> At 10:00 p.m. 30/07/01 +0200, Markus Hansen wrote:
> >hi guys
> >i tried to install a 2.2.19 kernel inseead of a 2.2.17.
> >after booting it sayed
> >LI
> >LI
> >LI
> >etc.

Seems to me this is a fairly widespread problem, as I'm getting it
too, but with kernel 2.4.7. I've read through the bugreport (here:
http://bugs.debian.org/105788 ) and someone thought that there was
an issue with the newer kernels handling the disk geometry in some
new way that messed things up (the former problem in the manual in
the previous message). However, I've tried booting an older (2.2.17)
kernel and running lilo under that with no success, so I personally
think there's a problem with lilo, which I can't check because there
isn't an older version still on debian's ftp servers. I've also
tried playing with the BIOS settings, lilo options like lba32, but
that hasn't done anything. Right now I'm booting the new kernel off
a floppy (which isn't too painfully slow with a superdisk drive, heh)
hard drive works fine. So I tried just using the floppy to point to
a kernel on the HD, but that didn't work.

So, as I see it, those of us with the problem are stuck booting from
floppies unless they've got some other working install, and waiting
for someone who knows better to figure out what's going on. Joy. :-/

Mike McGuire