Re: Network Drivers

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 05:04, Andrew Laurence wrote:
> I'm rather new to using Linux, in fact, I'm trying to do my first install.
> I'm stuck as far as installing the network card(s) goes.  My machine has
> two Dell network cards in.  I am booting using rescue.bin and root.bin
> downloaded yesterday, and intend to do an install across the 'net through
> the network here.  The network properties are set correctly.
>
> The cards have a chip with 82559 on it, which I believe is a re-branded
> Intel chip.  I have downloaded all the linux drivers for this chipset from
> http://www.intel.com and copied them to FDD.  The files are .tar.gz which I
> think is a compressed file format which (luckily) WinZip opens.  The
> contents are .c files amongst others which must be the source for the
> drivers.
>
> I have tried "preload modules from floppy" with the files in the root
> directory and the /boot dir on the FD.  I have also tried driver-1.bin
> which failed.  I also tried "Configure Device Driver Modules" with the
> files in the root dir and /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17-idepci.  What am I doing
> wrong?  I assume I shouldn't need to uncompress the files to the FD as they
> total some 5.4Mb!
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, TIA.
>
> Andy

I think that you got all drivers you need along with your Debian
distribution. I searched the net (ethernet+82559+linux) and found that
correct driver for your card should be eepro100. I am new to Debian, but I
guess that only thing you have to do is to run dbootstrap, choose 'Configure
Device Driver Modules' and select kernel module eepro100 among other things
you need.  This should work.

Good luck,
Slaven