Re: strange PATH problems with root

on Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 11:40:48AM +0200, Pascal THIVENT (pthivent@sqli.com) wrote:
> > > Hi all,

> > You must have sash installed.  This can be tested by doing an "su"
> > from the command line.  If sash is installed, then root's login
> > shell will not include /sbin;/usr/sbin, but "su" will give root a
> > proper shell including /sbin;/usr/sbin  AFAIK, this feature is
> > intended to be a last line of defense against some rootkits and
> > against hackers who are unaware of sash.

I've never heard this and believe it's incorrect.

root's path is whatever you set it to.  If you don't set it, it's
defined in /etc/login.defs.

I happen to use:

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11

root's path is utterly unrelated to sash.  You *will* get different
results running:

    $ su
    $ su -

...not the dash.  See man page for why.

> > I believe that you can set a different password for the full
> > featured root shell, but I have been unable to make this work.  I'm
> > not eleet 3n0ugh I guess.

    $ passwd sash
    $ passwd root

> Unfortunately, I'm not running sash...
> Could someone send me the original root's dotfile (.bashrc, .bash_profile,
>  .profile) and eventually /etc/profile or give me the name of the package
> that contains those files.

    $ dpkg -S /etc/profile
    $ dpkg -S /etc/skel/.bashrc

Root user's init scripts come out of /etc/skel, IIRC.

> I'm very surprised by this PATH configuration.
> I wasn't running gdm at the beginning and I'm quite sure that
> /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin
> were in root's PATH (I could lunch dselect and use dselect without exporting
> a new PATH manually.
>
> Uninstalling gdm does not recover the initial state ???
> What is this shit ?

You clobbered your root init files some other way.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal