exim won't relay mail

I setup exim on my system this weekend, but it's not working quite
right.  I had a school assignment to create a simple smtp client so I
setup exim so I could test it without blocking the phone line.  exim
delivers locally just fine.  However, it won't send any mail to other
domains.  I have it configured as a "smarthost" and I can send
messages using the remote server via telnet.  exim's log seems to
indicate that it thinks it delivered the message, but messages aren't
getting out.

A section from my /etc/exim/exim.conf  (let me know if you want to see
more :-)) ;

smarthost:
  driver = domainlist
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = * mail.rit.edu bydns_a

 From /var/log/exim/mainlog I have :

2001-07-31 08:44:44 15RYtA-0000Jm-00 <= dman@hudson U=dman P=local S=447 id=20010731084443.D1012@hudson
2001-07-31 08:44:46 15RYtA-0000Jm-00 => dsh8290@cs.rit.edu R=smarthost T=remote_smtp H=mail.rit.edu [129.21.2.241]
2001-07-31 08:44:46 15RYtA-0000Jm-00 Completed

which looks to me like I sent the message ('hudson' is the current
name of my debian box and 'dman' is my login, 'dsh8290@cs.rit.edu' is
one of my valid addresses at school).  The problem is that I never got
the message in my inbox (on the school's server).

Any ideas?
-D