Re: VNC: connection refused?

on Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:13:42AM -0700, Geoffrey Romer (gromer@hmc.edu) wrote:
> I'm trying to get my Debian box to run a vnc server. I'm running a pretty
> generic sid install, with the vnc-server and vnc-java packages installed.
> When I run the 'vncserver' command, everything seems to work fine, but when
> I try to connect to the server, I get errors such as the following:
>
> ---snip---
> xvncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
> Unable to connect to VNC server
> ---pins---
>
> This happens whether I am connecting from a remote machine, or from
> the local host. I can't think of anything I might have done to block
> connections- I haven't really messed with my network configuration at
> all. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?

Anything on local logs?  Suggestions that you're rejecting a connection
for some reason?

  - Are you connecting to an active session?

  - What's the vnc*server* command you're running to launch the server,
    and the corresponding viewer command?

  - Is the server running?

Cheers.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal