VNC: connection refused?

I'm trying to get my Debian box to run a vnc server. I'm running a pretty
generic sid install, with the vnc-server and vnc-java packages installed.
When I run the 'vncserver' command, everything seems to work fine, but when
I try to connect to the server, I get errors such as the following:

---snip---
xvncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
Unable to connect to VNC server
---pins---

This happens whether I am connecting from a remote machine, or from the local
host. I can't think of anything I might have done to block connections- I
haven't really messed with my network configuration at all. Does anyone have
any suggestions for fixing this?

--
Geoffrey M. Romer
gromer@hmc.edu