Re: Copying Linux to a new drive

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 05:47:03PM -0700, Santiago del Roi wrote:
> How does one copy a complete Linux install from one hard drive to another?
> I've tried using the cp command with various parameters, but to no avail.
> There seems to be lots of special files and directories (/proc for
> example) that cp can't handle.  Any suggestions?

You could try this: (under / )
          $ find . -print0 | cpio -pvdn0 /dev/[destination]
This should copy everything to the defined destination. Even
other mountpoints. If you only want to copy the mountpoint your are in,
try this:
          $ find . -xdev -print0 | cpio -pvdn0 /dev/[destination]

          $ man find
          $ man cpio
...for more info.

Regards, Willi