Re: Removing a sound module?

begin: glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com <glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com> quote
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 07:50:15AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > if you can't remove the sound module with rmmod or modprobe, you will
> need to
> > reboot the system.
>
> a fuser -v /dev/dsp /dev/audio /dev/mixer may be helpful in
> identifying and killing a process which is using the sound device and
> tying up the module.
>
> i've also found on occasion, my sound drivers will get corrupted after
> a suspend/resume on my laptop.

this isn't a driver getting corrupted.  when a driver gets corrupted, your
kernel gets corrupted.  a reboot is necessary.

you're talking about bad behavior on the _user_ side.  not the _kernel_ side,
which is where device drivers live.

> fuser didn't show anything using the
> device, but when i checked my processes, esd was sitting there pegging
> the cpu.  when i killed esd, i could remove and reinstall the sound
> driver (maestro3) and sound would work again.
>
> i appreciated this solution instead of rebooting because it is just
> fun to tell people you are tracking an uptime on your laptop.

very true -- however, the original poster (you should've left the entire
quote in, tsk tsk!) said that he had loaded the _wrong_ module.

meaning that, somehow, the module was able to init but simply can't
communicate with the kernel.  probing hardware is a funny business.  it's
much more than conceivable that such an occurance will corrupt kernel code.

in such a case, the module fails to load not because /dev/dsp is in use, but
because of some other reason.  perhaps the MODCOUNT gets lost.  a pointer
went wild.  who knows?

in that case, a reboot is much more than recommended.  even if the system
seems fine, the potential for true misery exists.

pete