setting up an ftp server

Currently, the only service I'm running is ssh, as this meets my
requirements both regarding remote logins and file transfers. However,
ssh clients, especially the file-transfering sort, are not a standard
item on most mac and windows computers, and now and then I find the
need to talk to my computer from the strangest places (for example, I
need to scan a bunch of images, and the only scanners I have easy
access to are hooked up to Macs).

How much of a security risk would it be to run an ftp server? Is the
biggest risk the clear-text passwords (I won't be transferring
confidential files, I just don't want anyone to break in), or are
there other major security holes as well? Would I be reducing the risk
by just running the server while I need it (I'm the sole user on my
box), or might I just as well leave it running?

What server should I install? I found several with apt-cache search
ftpd. I want one that's safe, convenient for a one-user system, safe,
easy to configure (and hard to misconfigure), and safe. Any
recommendations?

--
Kalle Hasselström, kalle@treskal.com