Re: Adaptec Raid

on Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 03:34:47PM -0600, Michael Blood (Michael@CustomDB.net) wrote:
> Rich,
> I am unfamiliar with applying patches, recompiling kernels or otherwise
> messing with the "Guts of the installation process".  I have, however, been
> working on a debian 2.2 box for about 8 months though.

I'd start learning.  It's a useful skill, and not as daunting as you may
think.

For patches:  download appropriate patch (ask if you need a specific URL
pointer) to /usr/src, apply it with the 'patch' command, usually:

    $ patch -p0 < patchfile

Naturally, you need your Linux kernel image:

    $ apt-get install kernel-source-<version>
    $ cd /usr/src
    $ tar -xjvf kernel-source-<version>.tar.bz2
    $ ln -sf kernel-source-<version> linux   # removes any existing link
    # patch now:
    $ patch -p0 < patchfile
    $ cd linux
    $ less README       # RTFM!
    $ make mrproper

The next part is the interesting one:  you configure your kernel.
Options are 'config', 'menuconfig', 'xconfig', and 'oldconfig'.  I tend
to like menuconfig.  Here you get to select options for your kernel --
the key is that you *only* need to select the options you're going to
use -- but it helps to select *all* the options you need.  Following the
guidance provided in the accompanying help usually works, as does the
"when in doubt, compile as module" doctrine.

    $ make menuconfig

When done, save your changes.  I like to keep my configurations in
/usr/src as config-YYYYMMDD-<version>, that is, timestamped, by kernel
version.  This convention is strictly for your convenience, it has no
significance for your system.

    $ make dep

At this point, the Debian method departs from the traditional GNU/Linux
kernel configuration.  Under Debian, the make-kpkg package allows you to
create your own Debian package, of your own kernel,

    $ make-kpkg <options>

...the options bit varies, I tend to use:

    $ make-kpkg --bzimage --revision custom.<major>.<minor> binary modules

e.g.:

    $ make-kpkg --bzimage --revision custom.1.0 binary modules

...the '--revision' option allows you to differentiate between different
configurations of the same kernel version.

To install a given kernel, e.g., all of the packages produced by the
above make-kpkg command:

   $ cd /usr/src
   $ dpkg -i kernel-*_custome.1.0*.deb

You might also want to refer to http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.html

Corrections appreciated, I think I've got most of that about right.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal