Re: Adaptec Raid

Michael,

You need to patch your kernel to add the necessary drivers that support
the Adaptec card. Adaptec hasn't gotten the message that "Linux" is not
"RedHat", so it's not a trivial process. See:
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/  for the necessary patches for
the kernel.

If you're trying to boot off of the array you'll need to create a custom
boot floppy. If your boot partition (and probably your root partition)
are running off of the other SCSI controller, you can start the install,
then patch the kernel. That part (custom disk) gets tricky, but it's
doable. Basicly, you'll compile the kernel on another box, make a copy
of your boot disk, and replace the kernel image on the boot disk with
your new image.

I've got the 2100S running fine for the last few months on a box I did
this too. Once I get off my lazy butt I'll post images of my boot disk
somewhere to save the headache of creating your own.

Good luck!

--Rich

Michael Blood wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to install Debian 2.2 on a box with an Adaptec 2100s Raid 5
> Controller.
> After creating the disk array using the utilities that come with the adaptec
> card.
> All that being done I run the debian installation.
>
> When using the default installation the process reports that it can not find
> any hard drives to partition.  when I view the script it shows that it can
> find another scsi adapter that I also have in the box but it does not find
> the raid controller.
> I have already tried to run at the boot prompt
>         boot: linux aha152x=iobase
>
> but I get the exact some results.
>
> Does any one have suggestions.
>
> Thanks,