Re: Backup strategey? (Was: Preventing windows from scr...)

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:49:47PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya cormac
>
> two synchronized copies???  am assuming that mean that if you erased
> foo.txt on the master... it erases it on the other disk too???

Eh - no - the erasure on my laptop occured when I booted into windows, so
there was no synchronising at that point.

Besides I don't synchronise in real time, but rather use unison to rsync
between my laptop and my desktops at home and at work.
(hence the two copies) - I had synchronised before rebooting the laptop
into windows

> - if you lost your files/data on the master... it wasn't
>   mirrored/synchronized to the other set .... hummm....
> 	- curious to see how/why you lost the data/files in the first place
> 	- it should have erased it on the other set too depending on
> 	failure mode
As I explained in response to another poster, the problem occurred with
windows overwriting the partition table in an extended partition. The
data I had was the second partition in the extended partition and was
totally unaffected except that I had to 'find' it again which I did
using gpart. Having found the correct position of the partition I
discovered it was totally unaffected. Thankfully - but as I said I
wasnt overly worried about the data, just annoyed about the whole affair.

> - automated backup...
> 	- use cron...
>
> - free backup scripts...
> 	http://www.Linux-Backup.net/app.gwif.html