OT: color emacs/auctex in console?

Sorry about the OT...

I'd like to edit latex docs in emacs using auctex with the nice
syntax-highlighting.  I apt-got emacs20, auctex, and their suggested
packages.  Loading up a latex document will now get me all the whiz-bang
formatting features of auctex, but I can't seem to get the color to
kick-in.  I'm running just the console, if that matters.  Something to do
with adding some 'font-lock statement somewhere...?

while I'm wasting your time, in the windoze version of emacs/auctex,
cntl-alt-F<5-8?> ran latex, opened the dvi viewer, ran dvips, and then
ghostscript from within emacs.  Yes, I know this is all key-bindings, but
what are the defaults for the linux version?  In debian the windows keys
switch tty#'s.

ok, one more...loading up emacs in console gives you a list of drop-down
headings at the top.  how do you get up there to drop them down?  clicking
the mouse on them just highlights them and inserts the word into the
document...

thanks guys.

JEff

--