AGP cards...anything weird?

I was able to get my neomagic-powered laptop running X as a fresh newbie
(after tons of reading), but am having a problem with my desktop.  I run
SuperProbe, and it gives me something like a Yamaha 6388 VPDC chipset and
a RAMDAC of a generic 8-bit pseudo-color DAC.  Needless to say, I can't
find support for this setup on xf86config.  Trying to run it with basic
VGA and SVGA modes seems not to work either (freaked out screen, but no
error messages.)  I noticed that others on this list have said they have
an AGP card (which mine is) and have installed some extra module.   Do I
need to do this?  I have almost convinced myself to just go buy an
obviously-supported card so I don't have to worry about it, but if I could
figure this out otherwise, I'd feel like I accomplished something, and my
wallet would be happier too...

Jeff

--
Jeff Maxson