Re: partition table woes

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 03:25:21PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 12:13:10PM -0400, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:

|  - gpart      Guess PC disk partition table, find lost partitions

| ...gpart sounds promising.  You've tried this yet?

As of now I have :-).  Some other people mentioned it off-list.  It
came up with fairly close sector numbers.  I say fairly close because
fdisk complained that my partitions weren't on cylinder boundaries and
the highest sector number was before the end of the disk.  The realy
weird thing is, if I move the last partition's start to align with the
start of the cylinder, e2fsck fails.  If I leave that part the
cylinder unused and use the sector number that gpart reported it works
fine.  Also, I was sure I had 256MB swap space before.  gpart reported
it as 243MB.   Close though.

Now I'm diverging a bit to disk partitioning software : are there
discrepancies between different partitioning software (such as fdisk
and cfdisk) as to sector/cylinder/megabyte size conversions?  If so,
then that might explain why I'm getting the slightly off numbers now.

Thanks for all the help!  My system is at least usable now (it seems).

-D

PS.  for those who might come across this in the archives, despite the
lack of a search mechanism, _gpart is cool and works well_.