Re: How to get an Iomega 100MB USB Zip Drive to work with Debian?

Hi, Guy!

And thanks for your help!

Hoewer, I cannot get my system to recognize the zip drive using
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
I get the message back that "the kernel doesn't recognize /dev/sda4
as a block device".

I also tried to install hotplug, usbutils etc. but these need libc6
>= 2.2.2-2, and I am not able to install this library without
damaging what is already installed - I tried to install it, and
ended up with a system that was not working - had to reinstall
everything.  I downloaded libc6 and used dpkg -i etc to install.
How can I install libc6 or update it without any damage to the
system?

I am grateful for all the help I can get - I am a newbie to Linux.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Joern T Larsen.

--- Guy Geens <ggeens@iname.com> wrote:

> Joern> I am new to Linux, and have just installed Debian/GNU
Linux on
> Joern> a Dell Dimension XPS R400. The only problem I am facing,
is -
> Joern> how to get an Iomega 100MB USB zip drive to work with
Debian
> Joern> 2.2r3? I have installed the module for USB-storage, but
have
> no
> Joern> clue how to go from there.
>
> Make sure your kernel has support for SCSI disks.
>
> You will also need the `hotplug' package.
>
> Once you have that installed, plug the ZIP drive into the USB
port.
> You can access the disk as /dev/sda . Standard ZIP disks use
> partition
> 4, so you should be able to do
>
> mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
>
> Don't forget to umount the disk before removing it or the drive.
>
> Joern> Also - how do I get my computer to accept Mac-files? (I
forgot
> Joern> to install the module for Macintosh files.)
>
> For Mac text files, you have to convert end of line characters.
E.g.,