Re: install dpkg without dpkg

Probably the easiest thing would be to reinstall everything,
but if you really want to the ar command (which is built
into sash, BTW, and is on the rescue disk if I remember
correctly) will unpack deb files. Just get your hands on
dpkg...deb, unpack it, and manually move files into their
proper locations. You may also need to do the same for some
lib...deb files in order to get dpkg working. Once you get
dpkg working you can install apt, and have it reinstall
everything (you just need to generate a list of all packages
you had installed before... for that the /var/lib/dpkg dir
must be intact. You can then use `dpkg -l > file` and edit
until you have a valid list, or I have a perl script that
simply extracts the full package names if you like. Of
course, that would require a functioning perl).

Reinstall would most likely be easier. But whatever you do,
good luck.