Re: [OT] Making images from CDs

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:54:14AM -0400, Stefanus Du Toit wrote:
> You'll want to
> mount /cdrom # or wherever you mount your CD ROMs
> find /cdrom -type f -exec cat {} \> /dev/null \;
>
> doing it on the device file won't get you anywhere :)

I tried that when I suspected that might have been what Joost meant, but
I figured that was probably wrong too since it just spat out the usual
garbage you get when catting binary files.  I thought the visual beeps
in my xterm were going to give me a seizure. ;)

I tried leaving it running for a while and just kept getting binary
garbage--if I wait for it to finish, assuming it eventually would,
would it show any errors after it's done?

Anyway, thanks to the person who suggested the readcd command--I never
noticed that in the cdrecord package before, and it's exactly what I
wanted.  I think cat and dd stop reading the image when they hit the
input/output error, but readcd keeps going.  (I'm guessing this based on
my catted and dd'd images being around 170MB and the reacd'd image being
around 200MB, the actual size of the CD.)

I went ahead and burned a CD despite the sector with the error, and when
I tried running executables on it (it's a Windows program that my mother
wanted copied), Windows gives me lots of errors.  The original CD works
fine, though.  I wonder if this is a sort of copy protection?

--
Thomas J. Hamman
"He's a fool who cannot conceal his wisdom."