Re: Outlook to GNU/Linux mailbox conversion is possible with exis ting tools

A similar process worked great for me:

(1) Get Outlook Express working on the same computer as your corporate
Outlook/Exchange system.

(2) Create an Outlook Express account pointed to an IMAP server on a Unix
box.

(2.1) If the corporate firewall blocks IMAP port 143 (mine did), but leaves
open more-common ports like 80 (telnet) or 443 (https), then put an sshd
server on the same box as the IMAP server, and run it with 'sshd -p 80'.
Then you create a port-forwarding "tunnel" using a ssh client on your work
machine, like VanDyke's SecureCRT, which forwards "localhost:port" to
"remote-unix-server:port".  Finally, you can then define your Outlook
Express account with an IMAP server of "localhost:80".  (You may want to
create a second tunnel for port 25, ie SMTP, so that you can also send mail
from Outlook Express if your local sysadmins also have SMTP blocked...ugh!)
Anyway, you can now hit "Send/Recieve" on Outlook Express, and IMAP and SMTP
will both be securely tunnelled to the remote IMAP server, right through the
firewall.  Sweet!

(3) As with Dan's instructions below, use Outlook Express's existing
"File/Import" function to import mail from your Outlook/Exchange folders.
This will import the mail into "local" (non-IMAP) Outlook Express folders.

(4) Drag-n-drop the messages from your "local" Outlook Express folder into
your IMAP account.  This will actually create a Maildir (if that's how your
IMAP server is configured) file on the remote Unix server, for each and
every message, in proper RFC822/MIME format.  Perfecto!

Mark Zieg
mark@zieg.com