Re: LPRng vs. CUPS?

Wayne <infotechsys@pivot.net> writes:

> Can someone explain the pros and cons of each print system.  Judging
> from e-mail that's been passing thru this SIG most people seem to be
> using CUPS.

LPRng:  It's LPR.  That's the pro and the con.

CUPS: It's not LPR.  Again, that's the pro and the con.

In a bit more detail, CUPS gives you things that you don't have quite
as easily with lpr.  You get access to printer-specific functions like
paper trays, resolution, economode, whatever, as long as you have the
PPD and it's a PS printer.  It's got a web interface for printer and
queue management.  You don't need to futz with different magicfilter
type programs.  CUPS is IPP-based, so in theory you could use an IPP
printer driver on a Windows or Mac client and get full access to
features, without a specific printer driver.

OTOH, without additional packages, it works best only with PS
printers.  It has generic drivers for Canon and HP inkjets, but they
aren't too good.  It's not as easy to use GS drivers or other drivers
with it, although I believe there are Debian packages for these tools
to make it easier.

LPRng is pretty much just LPR with better access control and some other
enhancements.  It's definitely a better lpr, but it's not as exciting
as CUPS.  OTOH, it's more stable than CUPS (in the sense of not
changing as much, maybe in the sense of less buggy).

-
Your computer account is overdrawn.  Please see Big Brother.