Re: PPPoE +Debian ?

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Case, Benjamin <bcase@Telecorp1.com> wrote:

>Where can I find documentation that will explain the install and usage of
>PPPoE with Debian ?

If you're on woody/sid, simply install the pppoe deb and read the docs
in /usr/share/doc/pppoe as well as the manpages.

If you're on potato, you can either use the outdated pppoe in potato
(not recommended) or get the latest release of rp-pppoe from

	http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

and build it from source. The site above also has generic installation
instructions. In addition to that, I'd recommend downloading the woody
deb _manually_, extract it (dpkg -x $file.deb pppoe) and read the
Debian docs. This will also give you config files tailored to Debian
and explain some Debianisms concerning pppoe/pppd. This way you could
still use the Debian setup with you home-brew rp-pppoe binary.

I'm afraid I don't have many URLs for English HOWTOs at hand, but
you'll find some pointers here:

	http://www.datenhighway.com/adsl/linux-adsl-links.html
	http://www.adsl4linux.de/infos/

But IMO, general HOWTOs can be rather confusing. It might actually be
easier looking at the contents of the pppoe deb and start from there.

HTH

--
Philipp Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>