Starting a GPL'ed Blackhole Service to Replace MAPS

* Martin F. Krafft <madduck@madduck.net> [20010723 12:48]:
> also sprach Alvin Oga (on Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:27:34PM -0700):
> > and a new not-for-profit anti-spam db being setup too ...

> that's us, i assume. freerbl.org. we are still in the process of
> figuring things out [...]

(Your site is not responding.)

Are you planning to GPL the open relay database you will create?

   As you know MAPS took the free submissions users gave them, closed
   the database and took it for itself. This is particularly heinous
   with the MAPS RSS as unlike with search-and-find-their-own
   orbs.org[2], the MAPS RSS consists of all volunteer submissions that
   are then verified as open relay(s).

Are you planning to GPL the code, scripts you will create and use?

If you are planning to ask for help and are releasing your scripts and
the created database[1] then more power to you, I'd be glad to help with
funds and bandwidth. If you are another MAPS wannabe, I wont lift a
finger to help. A free software type as myself can *enthusiastically*
use the former.

I dunno how far along you are with your project but check out the
rblsmtpd[3] program that is a part of Qmail---although, ``It works with
any SMTP server ... .''

[1] There has to be a way to share an open relay database *responsibly*
    with others, while at the same time not giving a free handout to
    spammers. I have some ideas, though.

[2] RIP

[3] <http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/rblsmtpd.html>

   John

--
John Bacalle                                                Free Dmitry!
john@unixen.org         Monday, July 23, New York City, Moscow, and more