Re: lilo problems

Dan Ryan wrote:

I am completely new to debian and linux for that matter and I was just installing it on one of my other computers. Now I want to make it a dual boot system. The only problem is I can't use X because I dont have a supported video card. So... how do I edit lilo.conf from the starting command prompt? I tried using vi /etc/lilo.conf but apparently that file doesnt exist anywhere on the system. Is there some other way to do this?

Thanks for putting up with my newb stupidity

---Dan

I don't get the connection between X and lilo. Is your system booting, then lilo should be installed and /etc/lilo.conf should exist.

What do you want to do? Dual boot for Linux and another OS? Or is your system set up to boot into graphical login and you want to login at a konsole? Then just unistall the login-manager (xdm/gdm or kdm) or remove the symlink from /etc/rc*.d.

What video card do you have? Did you have a look at http://www.xfree86.org wether your card is really not supported? I am pretty sure you can get nearly any card to work (more or less usefull) with X.

Frank