Re: killing dead cdrecord processes

Joost Kooij wrote:
>> The state is "D", which means uninterruptible: the processes do not
>> respond to kill -9.
>
>They will, once they can be interrupted again.

Is that realistic?  Will the process actually drop back to an
interruptible state?  How long would be a reasonable amount of time to
expect?

>> Is there any way short of rebooting that I can clear these processes
>> out?
>
>Other than removing the cdr medium, resetting the peripheral, removing
>and reinserting the driver modules (if at all possible) or some sort of
>futzing with the usb interfaces, rebooting may be the only thing.

I did remove the device (unplug the cord) and reset the modules, but
it didn't seem to help.

Ari Pollak wrote:
>Blech. What kernel version are you using? My USB CompactFlash reader
>(also usb-storage) would constantly stop responding and screw up the
>processes that were using it - forcing me to reboot my machine. I think
>it finally got fixed either around kernel version 2.4.6, or because I
>got a new motherboard. Which brings me to another question - what
>motherboard/chipset are you using?

In defence of USB in general, the HP 8230 CDWriter (reporting itself
as 8290) is known to have only "experimental" support.  The current kernel
driver doesn't work on this particular model at all, you need to apply
a patch.  Hopefully the patch will become official kernel code soon,
which might help.

I'm running a Toshiba 490CDT Satellite Pro laptop.  The USB controller
is "Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 1)".  I've been running
kernel 2.4.2 (with the HP 8200 patch) up till now, waiting for the
patch to become official before I upgrade.

Maybe it's time to stop waiting, if 2.4.6 already started helping
things :)

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A

Please CC: any replies to me.