[Sebastiaan <S.Breedveld@ITS.TUDelft.NL>] Re: snort dies

I have been running snort on Potato/Woody machines and have also some
across similar problems. My solution:-

Removed the 5snort script and attached additional lines to logrotate to
re-start snort once the logs have been rotated. I also made a script
which will monitor the snort/swatch/qpage process every 5 minutes to
ensure these are up. If not, it will attempt to start the process and
mail the admins. If the second time round it can't re-start the process,
it will page/mail the admin. We have an alternate paging service on a
seperate box, which will page upon receipt of mail. The above solution
is working for me...if you like, I can mail you the required scripts.

I am now working on some scripts which will check and download
snort.org/max vision snort rules and then update these to our current
rules periodically....it's a Work-In-Progress.

Cheers,

Patrick