Re: Modem problems after kernel upgrade (long, w/ Radeon VE sidenote)

"D. Hoyem" <youto_22554@yahoo.com> writes:

> Did you also get the 2.4.? ppp? That is required when
> you upgrade to a 2.4.* kernel. You can also try
> setserial -g /dev/ttyS* and see what is listed as the
> modem.  It should be listed as UART 16550A if memory
> serves me right.
> Don

Okay...  here's the nitty gritty...  (a LOT of it) I do have ppp 2.4.1-4, so
that's good.  I took the output from a lot of things and have them listed
below.  There's one thing that seems to strike me, and that is when I had
kernel 2.2.18pre21, I had more serial ports in /dev/ than ttyS3.  Now I just
have the 4 basic devices, 0-3.  The output of using setserial on a
nonexistant device is also below.  I'm wondering, do I need to make a new
device in /dev? (ie, ttyS4?)  If so, how do I go about doing it?  Also,
another thing that strikes me as strange is that even though it lists devices
00, 01, and 04 (in the dmesg output below), all of those also come up as
invalid if I try to adjust them via setserial.

So if someone can make sense of all this gibberish and help me get this dang
modem recognized by pppconfig or wvdial or SOMETHING, then I would greatly
appreciate it.  If there is any further output from anything that is needed
to help out, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Jeremy

output of setserial -g /dev/ttyS*:

/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

output of cat /proc/ioports:

02f8-02ff : serial(set)
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
ac00-ac07 : US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
  ac00-ac07 : serial(auto)

output of cat /proc/pci:

Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
  Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 1).
    IRQ 5.
    I/O at 0xac00 [0xac07].

output of lspci -v:

00:10.0 Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
     Subsystem: US Robotics/3Com: Unknown device 00d7
     Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
     I/O ports at ac00 [size=8]
     Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

output of dmesg:

Serial driver version 5.05a (2001-03-20) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Redundant entry in serial pci_table.  Please send the output of
lspci -vv, this message (4793,4104,4793,215)
and the manufacturer and name of serial board or modem board
to serial-pci-info@lists.sourceforge.net.
ttyS04 at port 0xac00 (irq = 5) is a 16550A

output of setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 0xac00 irq 5:
Cannot set serial info: Address already in use

output of setserial /dev/ttyS04 uart 16550A port 0xac00 irq 5:
/dev/ttyS04: No such file or directory