Re: snort dies

Hello,

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Martin F. Krafft wrote:

> hey all,
> i looked in the debian bug system, and aside it being mentioned, i
> have not found an answer. /etc/cron.daily/5snort seems to kill snort
> when configured in start-at-boot mode. however, if i run the cron
> script manually, it restarts just fine. but after a day, snort will
> silently die on the system, which is definitely not what i want...
> it seems to do fine in dialup mode.

I have noticed the same problem: sort dies sometimes. I hoped to intercept
this problem to check wether snort runs every hour (and restart if it
isn't), but I still get empty reports every now and then.

> any clues or fixes? this is on potato btw.

Submit a bugreport. I am running potato with 2.4.6-pre3 on a PowerMac, but
still have the same problems. I have also a computer running woody and I
have only received empty reports. I do not know if this is still a bug or
if I simply have not had an attack or something.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan