Re: question about X-configuration of debian from newbie.

David Kimdon wrote:

Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:48:11PM +0200 wrote:

Hello,
     first of all, I am sorry if I annoy you with my silly question. I just
installed Debian 2.2 (potato) and encountered  X-windows problem. It seemed
I configured wrong driver for the monitor so I could not start x-windows.
Normally, I used Redhat and there was the feature called "Xconfigurator" which I
could configure my montitor later when the driver didn't be compatible and I
could probe as well. I don't know if there's the feature like this exists in
Debian? I often have the problem with monitor's driver because my monitor is
noname so it would be great if debian contains such feature.
         Thank you so much for any suggestion in advance.

                                  Sincerely yours,
                                   Pattreeya, debian newbie.

I have a no-name monitor either and I set up my X-server with XF86Setup. All you need to know is the horizontal and vertical sync rate for your monitor wich you should get from the documentation that usually comes with every hardware. If you still have the XF86Config from your RH you can use it to get the information you need.

Frank