Re: CUPS setup, but no /etc/printcap.cups file?

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 10:02:08PM -0700, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:

> I set up CUPS for the first time and I do not see a file
>
> /etc/printcap.cups
>
> I understand that CUPS is supposed to generate entries each time I add a
> printer.
>
> I have used the lpadmin command to add a printer (it works from lp), but
> I cannot see the printing system from any applications.
>
> I tried putting in
>
> Printcap /etc/printcap.cups
>
> in the
>
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>
> file, (restarted then added the printer) - but nothing shows up.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks -- Randy

Which version of cups do you have installed? I'm running version 1.1.9
(compiled from source) and according to the comments in cupsd.conf the
/etc/printcap should be generated automatically:

#
# Printcap: the name of the printcap file.  Default is /etc/printcap.
# Leave blank to disable printcap file generation.
#

#Printcap /etc/printcap

This configuration works fine for me. After adding a new printer with
lpadmin or with the web interface it immediately appears in
/etc/printcap.

Bye
Andreas