Re: RBL for hire

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 05:52:15PM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
>     Effective Midnight 7/31/2001, all non-subscription access to
>     MAPS'SM services will cease. Anyone wishing to transfer or query
>     MAPS'SM data must have a signed contract with MAPSSM, and have
>     access enabled in our ACL. There are several reasons for this
>     change:

Grr, that pisses me off.  The first reason listed for this change (which
immediately followed the above quote on
http://mail-abuse.org/subscription.html) is that the contents of the
database are copyrighted and that the company "must have the ability to
protect its assets"  blah blah blah.

I doubt any MTAs will actually complain about anything, or break in any
way, but most likely the response will simply be negative replies to all
requests (or possibly false positives for every request...that would be
truly evil).

Several people/groups have announced intentions to run services similar
to ORBS or the mail-abuse stuff.  I don't know what's come of that.
There are links to a couple of possibilities at
http://slashdot.org/articles/01/07/02/1540210_F.shtml

noah