c++ conversion

I would like to migrate some large c/c++ programs from Windows to Linux.
Right now I'm invoking gcc -- and even for the most trivial program I am
getting the error message: "installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1plus':
no such file or directory"

I'm also surprised to see that g++ is not recognized on the command
line, nor included header files such as <iostream.h>

I've written some decent-sized stuff in c++ and don't recall running
into such problems, but then my memory used to be better

I am reading Swan's book on "GNU C++ for Linux" and starting to work my
way through the info docs

My response has been to get-apt upgrade gcc, which I am in the middle
of. Not sure if this will address my problem. Was surprised to see the
huge size of the upgrade. Of course that means I am running under the
old code (gcc 2.95.2)

Any gentle recommendations and pointers toward good documentation is
much appreciated!

--
David

If the master dies and the disciple grieves, the lives of both have
been wasted.