were having success with Woody as a base rather than
stable 2.2r3.

So having had an /etc/apt/sources.list which was entirely
CDROM based, I updated it to point at uk.debian.org
to download woody.  The entry looks like:-

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

and I ran dselect which said that all manner of things
needed to be updated.

It says that 233 packages need to be upgraded, 89 newly
installed, 1 to remove and 3 not upgraded.  It then starts
scanning packages, gets to 90% and complains about
a Template parse error near "" at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Template.pm
line 102, <TEMPLATES> chunk 2.

So I did a search on the archive for this list and found
advice (from the 17th July) to updrage DebConf on its
own using apt-get install DebConf which duely went
through (after one problem which a rerun seemed to
cure).

Unfortunately the problem still persists, and I can not
get any further.  Now it might be that I am missing
something sources.list file which I need, it might be
that the 2.4 upgrade package has mucked things up,
more likely I have mucked something up.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to proceed?

Thanks in advance

David

BTW, it would be useful if the various Debian
mirrors included sample apt/sources.list entries
on there websites.  If they already do then I have
failed to find them and it would be useful to have
a pointer.
begin:vcard
n:Goodenough;David
x-mozilla-html:FALSE