Re: it keeps crashing

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 11:30:31AM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> also sprach Joost Kooij (on Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:00:52AM +0200):
> > As to why Martin is having crashes, I don't know.  Try it with a
> > smaller kernel image size, as Guy suggests, by leaving out options
> > that you do not strictly need.  Also be sure to use the latest
> > available 2.2.x or 2.4.x kernel and if the crashes persist, read
> > the ksymoops documentation and the linux-kernel mailing list faq,
> > and post a decoded oops on that list.
>
> that's a good idea. other than that, the kernel is 2.4.6 and already
> only 300kb -- and i load 7 modules. it's cut down as far as possible.
>
> i am thinking that the swap implementation in linux is buggy. wouldn't
> surprise me, after all, it wasn't chuck cranor's work :)
>
> martin;              (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
>   \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:"; net@madduck

The Linux kernel's swap implementation is notoriously buggy, and I
think 2.4.x is especially bad.  I think you may have way too much swap
space.  Try a small value, like 12 megs or so.  You might run out of
memory when running userland apps, but it may keep the kernel from
crashing.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>