Re: Building kernel in new dir.

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 01:29:05PM -0400  R1nso13@aol.com wrote:
> I'm working on building a new kernel (just realized my newly 'bought' debian
> 2.2r3 has kernel 2.2 not 2.4 for some reason). Currently, the kernel is in
> /boot but i thought i'd install the new one in /usr/src/linux as i'm told its
> more of a "standard" directory for kernels. I know there's a symbolic link
> (/vmlinuz) in the root directory. Are there any other sybolic links lying
> around that i need to change? I've read about some on different tutorials on
> the web but it seems like the only one present on my debian is /vmlinuz. Did
> i miss any? I want to be sure b/c i'll bet it winds up in disaster if i do.

The file "vmlinuz" is a link to the actual kernel image vmlinuz-
2.2.19"whatever" that resides in the /boot partition.  The actual
linux kernel "source" code goes into the /usr/src directory.

When you compile the kernel, then you get a actual kernel image
that you then copy to the /boot directory, modify /etc/lilo.conf
to reflect the new kernel image, (this way if you screw up you
can still boot off of your OLD image) and run /sbin/lilo.

The following link explains everything in detail, follow it
and all shall be ok. ;)

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/compiling/kernelcomp.html

Dana