Building kernel in new dir.

I'm working on building a new kernel (just realized my newly 'bought' debian
2.2r3 has kernel 2.2 not 2.4 for some reason). Currently, the kernel is in
/boot but i thought i'd install the new one in /usr/src/linux as i'm told its
more of a "standard" directory for kernels. I know there's a symbolic link
(/vmlinuz) in the root directory. Are there any other sybolic links lying
around that i need to change? I've read about some on different tutorials on
the web but it seems like the only one present on my debian is /vmlinuz. Did
i miss any? I want to be sure b/c i'll bet it winds up in disaster if i do.