Re: Motherboards

Quoting Joost Kooij on Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 05:43:06PM +0200:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 04:34:23PM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> > I thought I would consult here as to the motherboard that will give the
> > least compatibility problems with the various chip sets available and
> > for on-board sound.
>
> I've yet to hear any bad stories about motherboards for athlon
> cpus with chipsets from amd.  personally, I've not had any problems
> with motherboards with via chipsets, but there are some rumors
> out there about stability problems when running a kernel compiled
> with athlon-specific bulk move instructions.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Joost

There is a lot of information about issues with VIA chipsets especially the
KT133.  If you peruse the kernel sources, there are drivers and patches
which offset the problems with VIA and ide drives.  Also check out kernel
mailing list archives.  That said, I run two systems roughly comparable with
the Via/southbridge.  Be sure to read over the via driver information in
/usr/src/linux/driver/ide/via* also.

I run these systems with no problems whatsoever now.  Both running the 2.4.7
kernel with via patches enabled and compiled for the athlon chipset.

--
Michael Perry
mperry@tsoft.com