Re: Debian books

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 08:14:25AM -0400, alex wrote:
> Can someone tell me what they consider to be a good up to date Debian
> book for a beginner, one that doesn't assume that the reader has a
> background in Unix or DOS?  Is there such a book?

Most of the interesting literature is available online at http://linuxdoc.org/
Have a look at "getting started" and the "network administrator's guide".

One of the best introductions would be learn to use, understand and
program the bash shell.  Read the bash(1) manual page and the whole lot
of shell scripts that many programs on your system are.  They are of
very high educational value, because you'll learn both about the shell
and about the system.

One very good book that is only available in the stores: Essential
system administration, by aeleen frisch (o'reily).  The book covers many
different flavours of unix and examines linux only cursorily.

> Where are the books about Debian?  I found dozens of up to date books
> for RedHat and just one out of date book for Debian (O'Reilly) in the 4
> large bookstores that I visited.  It's not that the Debian books were
> sold out, there just don't to be many published.

Check out the "documentation" secion on http://www.debian.org/

Debian is very generic and of all the linux distributions that I know, it
keeps in line with standard unix practices the most.

Cheers,

Joost