Re: I did it a mess with perl

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 01:22:19PM +0000, Victor wrote:
> 	perl -MCPAN -eshell
>
> *The bottom line*
> So, now I have that strange, confusing mixture of a perl 5.005 coming
> from a deb package and a perl 5.6.1 compiled from tarballs in CPAN
> under the same /usr/bin and /usr/lib. Obviously the perl command was
> overwritten during the compilation by version 5.6.1.
>
> *Your suggestion for a way out*

Reinstall all the perl debs on your system.  If you use the --reinstall
option to apt-get, it is almost easy, even.

> Minimal:
> Because I need various DBDs which are not included in the deb files,
> is there away to fix perl as it is now in my PC?

Reinstall all perl packages that dpkg thinks are still on your system.

> Tiresome:
>
> I luckily did a complete backup of my system tarring all the main dirs
> on another linux box via NFS. Therefore I could have a chance to
> recover my initial, working greatly, stable configuration. But....

With debian, you only need a backup of /etc and of /var/lib/dpkg/status.
The rest can be installed completely.  There are extra copies of the
status file in /var/backups, too (useful when you have hosed only the
status file and do not want to reconstruct it manually).

> what should I do to install a new DBI and many DBM and whatever else
> stuff from CPAN which are not included in the deb packages?

Install dh-perl-make && rtfm && build your own libperl-dbd-foo.deb.

dpkg -p dh-make-perl
Package: dh-make-perl
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 92
Maintainer: Paolo Molaro <lupus@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.8
Depends: debhelper (>= 3.0.0), libpod-parser-perl, perl, make, dpkg-dev, fakeroot
Filename: pool/main/d/dh-make-perl/dh-make-perl_0.8_all.deb
Size: 12988
MD5sum: 6cdf821df978d5da3f0eed7ad3096cac
 dh-make-perl will create the files required to build
 a debian source package out of a perl package.
 This works for most simple packages and is also useful
 for getting started with packaging perl modules.
 Given a perl package name, it can also automatically download it from CPAN.

Cheers,

Joost