Re: updating to woody with custom kernel

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:11:22PM -0700, Kurt Lieber wrote:
> On potato, I had to re-compile my kernel to get IP aliasing support.  I
> used the newbiedocs over at sourceforge, and one of the instructions was
> to do the following:
>
> echo "kernel-image-2.2.19 hold" | dpkg --set-selections

The newbiedocs have been misleading you.  Use dselect for this.

> Which I assume tells dpkg not to ever upgrade kernel-image until I tell
> it otherwise.
>
> I'd like to upgrade my workstation from potato to woody, but I'm not
> sure how my re-compiled kernel fits in to all fo this.

Not, so don't worry about it.

> So, what do I need to do to remove this flag?  man dpkg tells me what
> the hold flag is for, but not how to remove it.  I think I can bypass it
> with --force-things hold, but I have a feeling that's a sledgehammer
> approach.  I'm hoping there's a kinder, gentler way.

It is not a sledgehammer, it is the safety on the gun.  Please use
dselect as a user frontend to package management.  Please also read the
dpkg manpage, it mentions dselect prominently and also explains what
the --force options do.

> Second question; when I upgrade to woody, is there any relatively easy
> way to have it compile in support for IP aliasing or will I have to
> recompile the kernel again after the upgrade is complete?

You current kernel supports it, so what is the problem?  You do not need
to change your kernel when you upgrade you userland tools.

Cheers,

Joost