Re: updating to woody with custom kernel

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Kurt Lieber wrote:

> On potato, I had to re-compile my kernel to get IP aliasing support.  I
> used the newbiedocs over at sourceforge, and one of the instructions was
> to do the following:
>
> echo "kernel-image-2.2.19 hold" | dpkg --set-selections
>
> Which I assume tells dpkg not to ever upgrade kernel-image until I tell
> it otherwise.

AFAIK kernels are only downloaded, not installed. It is harmless if apt
downloads a new kernel image, but it is just a waste of bandwidth.

> I'd like to upgrade my workstation from potato to woody, but I'm not
> sure how my re-compiled kernel fits in to all fo this.

Without problems. Besides, you are not running a 2.4 kernel.

> So, what do I need to do to remove this flag?  man dpkg tells me what
> the hold flag is for, but not how to remove it.  I think I can bypass it
> with --force-things hold, but I have a feeling that's a sledgehammer
> approach.  I'm hoping there's a kinder, gentler way.
It is better to do it. I installed once a kernel image source 2.2.17, but
everytime I did a dist-upgrade, it wanted to download a newer version
(2.2.18-pre6, 2.2.18, 2.2.19-pre*, 2.2.19,...) while I have been using 2.4
since February. Setting these packages to hold (or just to remove)
prevents your computer from downloading unnecesary stuff.

> Second question; when I upgrade to woody, is there any relatively easy
> way to have it compile in support for IP aliasing or will I have to
> recompile the kernel again after the upgrade is complete?

Not needed.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan