Re: Linux and wireless pcmcia

Quoting Nico De Ranter on Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 04:58:08PM +0200:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm trying to get my wireless pcmcia card (Lucent Technologies,
> Orinico RangeWaveLAN Turbo 11MB Silver) to work on a desktop PC
> with a Texas Instruments PCI1410 cardbus controller runnign kernel 2.4.6.
> Unfortunately the system insists on seeing my card as "anonymous memory".
> Any idea whether there is anything special needed to get
> wireless pcmcia to work? There doesn't seem to be any information
> regarding pcmcia in the the kernel source tree.
>
> Nico

>  "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
>   refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
>                the computer industry."
> Nico De Ranter
> Sony Service Center (SDCE/NEE-B)
> Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
> 1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
> Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
> e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com

I had pcmcia networking working with a desktop pc that I used as an access
point of sorts.  I used a orinoco silver 11mb card with a isa to pcmcia
adaptor card but under the 2.2.x kernels.  All I did under those kernels was
download the wavelan 2.2.x driver, patch the pcmcia sources, and compile
pcmcia support on the desktop.

There are other drivers like wvlan and perhaps even another one in the
pcmcia packages now.  One can run pcmcia_cs if all references to pcmcia are
removed from the 2.4.x kernels.  If not, the pcmcia compiles will not
complete successfully.  As far as I know, the lucent/wavelan drivers were
for 2.2.x only; but the other drivers should be for both.  You may want to
cruise the pcmcia_cs forums on wireless at sourceforge as well.

Now I use a 11mb wavelan card in my ibm thinkpad and I purchased a
residential gateway instead.

--
Michael Perry
mperry@tsoft.com