bad net connection in Woody and Sid

 I've had a problem with connecting to the net after upgrading from
 Potato to Woody or Sid.  I use Wvdial to connect to the internet, and
when I use it in Potato, it works just fine, but under Woody and Sid,
it acts like it's connecting, but if I try to access anything (ssh,
lynx, etc) it tells me that the connection is unavailable.  My
connection
works fine if I use pon, but I prefer wvdial because of the auto-redial
and the visual feedback that I can watch.  Has anyone else experienced
this problem or have any suggestions as to what I could do to remedy
it?

Any and all help is appreciated,
Jeremy