2.0-kernel box rooted via shell-account

Hi!

I don´t think that there´re many of you who´re stull running slink and/
 or 2.0.x.kernels.

But, since one of my boxen (which is since physically offline) was
 r00ted not that long ago, I thought a warning would be due.

2.0.38 and at least 2.2.18[0] - kernels are vulnerable to get r00ted
 via any shell-account. So, for those of you who are blessed with
 shell-users, chroot(), jail(), or <$whatever> them. Just don´t let
 them create (&run) executables on your boxen.

0: http://www.securiteam.com/exploits/5NP061P4AW.html

*Not* funny, but here´s my log:

-----
waldner@ka:~$ ls -la ~<user>/
-rwxr-xr-x    1 <user>     guests     993985 Jul  5 23:14 epcs

hmm, http://www.securiteam.com/exploits/5NP061P4AW.html .

waldner@ka:~$ cp ~<user>/epcs .
waldner@ka:~$ ./epcs
bug exploited successfully.
enjoy!
sh-2.03# touch /etc/passwd
sh-2.03#
-----

(wrote a complaint to the luser, citing that tomorrow(tm) I´d re-build
 the box. no 10 minutes later, box starts to mis-behave (portscanning
 et al), well, and has to be taken offline. sheesh).

And yes, you´re likely to be vulnerable. Just get those shell-enabled
 lusers off your systems...

<cite above URL>
This exploit does not work on 2.4.x because kernel won't set suid
 * privileges if user ptraces a binary.
 * But it is still exploitable on these kernels.
</cite>

cheers,
&rw
--
-- You have the capacity to learn from mistakes.
-- You'll learn a lot today.