Re: Urgent! everything is Connection refused!

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:39:50AM -0700, Matheson Cameron wrote:
| Hey,
|
| I'm kind of in a fix at work here.  I installed debian
| at home, and i brought the machine in here at work,
| but i can't connect to any ftp sites.  I've configured
| everything for the LAN at work, but not everything's
| happy, here's what works:
|
| -ping (myself, the lan, and anything on the internet)
| -telnet (myself, the lan, not internet)
| -ftp (myself, the lan, not internet)
|
| When I do try to open a connection to ftp.debian.org
| or ftp.gnome.org it instantly says 'Connection
| refused'.  But it's not even going out over the
| internet (i don't think, it seems to just die).  My
| other debian box is working very happily, but i can't
| seem to figure out what's wrong

Run traceroute to see how far the packets are getting.  My guess is
that they are getting lost somewhere in the LAN.  Did you set a
default gateway?  Your box needs to know where to send packets
destined for machines it doesn't have direct access to.  Also, does
nslookup work?

-D