Re: Sendmail newbie question

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 02:43:43PM -0500, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> On the machine you want to be the mail hub, configure
> it to accept mail for your (local) domain.  On the other
> machines, tell them to send all local mail to the mail
> hub for delivery and to use it as a smart host also.
>
> A quick example is in order, me thinks.  I have three
> Linux machines here along with various flavors of Windows.
> "hurricane" is the (internal) mail server (i.e. no direct
> Internet connection).  The two other Linux machines,
> "kerberos" and "earthquake" are set to send all local mail
> to "hurricane", e.g.:
>
> [jeremy@EARTHQUAKE:pts/0:~]$ grep ^DH /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> DHhurricane.home.lan
>
> The three Linux machines pass off any mail to "hurricane",
> where it is stored.  "hurricane" uses "kerberos" as a smart
> host, since it's the only machine directly connected to the
> Internet, e.g.:
>
> [jeremy@HURRICANE:pts/0:~]$ grep ^DS /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> DSkerberos.home.lan
>
> "kerberos" then uses my ISP's mail server as it's smart host,
> and lets it deal with the task of getting the mail to its final
> destination, e.g.:
>
> [jeremy@KERBEROS:pts/0:~]$ grep ^DS /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> DSmoseisley.blueriver.net
>
> To illustrate this a bit, all my e-mail is stored on my ISP's
> mail server.  When I dialup (on "kerberos", the machine with
> the modem), fetchmail is started and grabs my mail roughly
> every 300 seconds.  fetchmail hands it off to sendmail on
> "kerberos" which has been told to send all local e-mail to
> "hurricane" for delivery.  "kerberos" then contacts "hurricane"
> and gives it the message, which is then passed to procmail which
> filters it and puts it into its appropriate place under
> /home/jeremy/Mail/.  When I'm done typing this message and hit
> "Send", the machine I'm sitting at "tremor" will send it to
> "hurricane" (my internal mail server, remember?) which will see
> that it's a "non-local" email and pass it off to "kerberos",
> who in turn, will give it to my ISP.  (Take a look at the mail
> headers.)  See, easy?  :)

Easy if you know what your doing ;-) Thanks for replying Jeremy,
but I'm still confused. You've told me what I need to do but not
how to do it. At least not in a way that a complete newbie can
understand. I tried to set this up the way you described it (I
think) using Outlook but I keep getting a message saying it
can't find the host mybox.mydomain.org. I'm not sure how I'm
supposed to set up the server to send the mail to the client. Or
allow the client to access the mail on the server.

Again thanks for the help and please forgive the lack of
knowledge on my part. I've tried reading the files in
sendmail-doc and man pages but I just became even more confused.
It seems to me that those help files are written for ppl who
already know what they are doing. Are there any Newbie help
files available?
--

Jay Latham

Beer is proof God loves us and