Re: Converting SuSE to Debian

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Steve Kieu wrote:

>  --- Lukas Ruf <ruf@tik.ee.ethz.ch> wrote: > Dear all,
> >
> > I would like to convert my SuSE-installation to
> > Debian.
> > Of course, I know, I could simply boot from an
> > installation CD and then do
> > the whole installation procedure.  But I don't want
> > to.
>
> Come on man just 15Mb for base.tgz; then two floppy
> image you can start the base system and do the rest
> from the net, What is a deal?

It's not really the point that I would not be able to solve that issue
the straight way -- it's just an idea whether this would be possible.

> > So, my question:
> > - I would like to some programs (like dpkg/dselect
> > and the like) to my
> >   running SuSE linux and then start a program that
> > (like dselect) which
> >   allows me to convert the SuSE installation to a
> > Debian based on.
>
> I think it is hard, I have no idea about SUSE but sure
> the /etc ; startting scripts etc... is quite different
> from debian. And how to fake dpkg about all other
> packages installed ? I dont think it is a good idea to
> mess up like that.

What would be required:
- /etc/rc.d approach to /etc/init.d
- every service/application that has /etc-wide configuration and would be
  replaced by the process needs the adaption (like the dselect question
  "Replace or Leave untouched":)
- installation of the dpkg/apt system in /var
- adjusting the list of installed applications -- I would agree to update
  the system-files completely /bin:/sbin:/usr/{bin,sbin,X11R6} and the like.
- more?

What do you think?

--lpr