Re: Folders in Mutt

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 04:37:57PM +1000, Sam Varghese wrote:
> I am a newbie to mutt - after flirting with a
> dozen or more GUI mail programs.
>
> I have managed to configure most of what I want in
> mutt but the setting up of folders just beats me.
>
> I'd like to have a few folders into which I can
> move mail after reading but if the mail supposed to
> go there does so automatically I wouldn't mind either.

I have a fairly basic Mutt setup. If I want to save a message to a folder I
just press s, then the name of the folder.  Folders are all under ~/mail/
If the folder doesn't exist, it asks whether it should create it.

I've included the relevant bits of my .muttrc below, the mailboxes line sets
which mailboxes/folders will be checked for new mail.

There are lots of web sites around with good examples of .muttrc files.  I'm
sure someone will chime in with URLs.

To automatically sort the mail when it is received, I use procmail, but there
are better people on the list to explain procmail setup.

HTH

Bec

----------- .muttrc ---------------------------

set tmpdir="~/tmp" # directory for temporary files
set folder=~/mail                  # directory with all mail folders
set postponed=~/mail/postponed-msgs

set alias_file=~/.mutt.aliases
source ~/.mutt.aliases

folder-hook . set sort=mailbox-order

folder-hook debian- set sort=threads
folder-hook systers set sort=threads

mailboxes ! =rootmail =debian-announce =debian-news =flite =systers-students =systers =debian-devel =debian-user =auscert

## VARIABLES:

set confirmcreate  # set: prompt for confirmation on creation of folders