fetchmail fails to RETR?

I've set up fetchmail to retireve via POP3 on one machine
successfully. Same set up (as far as I can determine) on another
machine fails.  Using other ways of retrieiving POP3 mail on this
other machine works just fine.

The POP3 with fetchmail fails once it tries to download the messages:

fetchmail: POP3< +OK Mailbox open, 3 messages
fetchmail: selecting or re-polling default folder
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 3 27521
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0
3 messages for XXXX at YYYY (27521 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Mailbox scan listing follows
fetchmail: POP3< 1 12237
fetchmail: POP3< 2 1710
fetchmail: POP3< 3 13574
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 12237 octets
reading message 1 of 3 (12237 octets)
About to rewrite Return-Path: XXXX
Rewritten version is Return-Path: XXXX

About to rewrite From: XXXX
Rewritten version is From: XXXX

About to rewrite To: XXXX
Rewritten version is To: XXXXX

It now just sits there?

On the machine where it works I get exactly as above but then

fetchmail: forwarding to localhost
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:XXXX SIZE=1710
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 XXXX is syntactically correct
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:XXXX
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 XXXX is syntactically correct
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA

and seems to be just fine.

Any ideas how to hunt this down?

I'm using exim, same version and config files on both machines. But I
don't even seem to get to "forwarding to localhost".  If I tell
fetchmail to use mda procmail (on this otherwise failing machine) it
does get the message from the POP server?

ii  exim           3.22-4         Exim Mailer
ii  fetchmail      5.8.6-1        POP3, APOP, IMAP mail
gatherer/forwarder

Thanks,
Graham