2.4 kernel and pcmcia nic

I have my new laptop working with unstable and the 2.2.18 kernel.  I have
built the 2.4.6 kernel but have not found all the right options to get the
new kernel (or something) to bring up the network card (a 3com pcmcia 3c575
or something, the 3c59x driver seems to like it).  If I select i82365,
3c59x, and cardbus support in the kernel (not as modules), the laptop will
give the familar two beeps indicating the card services are working, but the
network setting in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts are never applied.

What is the trick to get this to work with a 2.4 kernel?

-Craig