Re: Reverting to stable from test

David Z. Maze <dmaze@debian.org> wrote:
> Are you trying to build a kernel module?  If so, are you explicitly
> giving it a path to the kernel headers, or are you letting it default
> to /usr/include/linux?  The stuff in /usr/include/linux is almost
> certainly wrong and has a ~0% chance of corresponding to the kernel
> you're actually using; see /usr/share/doc/libc6/README.Debian.gz for
> details of what's going on, and why.

Actually, no.  My applications are strictly user-land. There is only
one explicit reference to a "linux/" header (linux/pci.h) anywhere in
the code and that is an error (it should not be there).

The compile error I posted was just an example; there were may others
of a similarly extreme nature.  Sadly I cannot recreate them as I have
in the course of the day tried removing a few things and reverting to
stable.

I have ended up with no development stuff at all.  I baulked at removing
libc6 as a big long list of dependencies was presented, along with an
indication that it would be a bad idea.  However, I get the feeling I
need to remove or replace libc6 as dselect refuses to do anything useful
as long as a conflict exists between libc6-dev (currently not installed)
depending upon libc6 2.1.3-18 (2.2.3-5 installed).

Is there an easy way out of this?  I was just considering playing with
dpkg and its force-downgrade option, fully expecting that this would be
followed shortly after by a fresh installaion.  Any advice?

I guess this will teach me not to touch anything marked "test" or
"unstable" if I don't know exactly what I'm doing.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Regards
--
William Morris